immigration/passport info | emergency/medical
government and city info

driving tips | airlines | car rentals | buses
ground transportation | ferries | marinas

travel agencies | tourist services home

Call Baja Communications Group
(949) 376-2252(376-BAJA)

request a visitor's guide

Enter your email to recieve La Paz updates:

* required



Email Marketing by VerticalResponse is the official website of the city of La Paz, BCS, Mexico

All content and images © 2012 Baja Life Online. All rights reserved.

When you enter the country as a "tourist", you are allowed to remain for a maximum of 180 days for the purposes of recreation, health, artistic or sports activities. You may not work in Mexico.
If you arrive by air:
You must have your immigration form and present it to the immigration authorities upon arrival at the airport of your destination within Mexico.
If you arrive by road:
You must request your immigration form after having paid the tourist fees at a local bank. Your vehicle must leave the country when your tourist card expires. You cannot sell your car within Mexico nor use it for any other unauthorized purpose.
If you arrive by sea:
You must obtain your immigration permit after having paid the fees at the port of entrance.
Once your authorized 180 days are up, you must leave the country.
If you wish to re-enter the country:
You can do so with a new immigration form granted by the immigration authorities at the place of entry after having paid the corresponding fee.
You may extend your stay in Mexico as a:
Person of independent means: Defined as one who lives off of income generated outside of Mexico.
Financially dependent person:
Defined as one who is economically dependent on a spouse or blood relative.
In a position of trust:
Defined as a person who assumes a sole managerial role or some other position of absolute trust in established Mexican companies or institutions.
Defined as a person who begins, finishes or perfects his studies in Mexico. Once the student terminates his/her studies, he/she must leave the country.
Religious minister or associate:
Defined as an active minister of any religion or a person who performs social or philanthropic acts. In this case, you must register with the "Secretaria de Gobernación".
Political exile:
Defined as a person who enters the country to protect his/her liberty or life, from political persecution in his/her country of origin. You must have permission from the "Secretaria de Gobernación" and you may not leave the country without permission from the Secretaria if your request is granted.
Business visitor or investor:
Defined as a person who enters the country for the purpose of seeking alternate investment prospects or for carrying these out. In this case, the foreigner must comply with the Foreign Investment Law requirements.
Defined as person who is in transit to another country and passes through Mexican territory. A Transmigrant has the right to remain in the country for a maximum of 30 days.
To obtain an extension of the aforementioned categories you must go to the immigration department, (Instituto National de Migración) taking with you your immigration form and valid passport, where upon fulfilling all additional requirements and having paid the corresponding fees, the extension of your immigration document can be authorized.
You may extend your stay on four occasions, each for maximum of 365 days. With the authorization to remain in Mexico temporarily, you may enter or leave the country without any restrictions, except in the case of a tourist.
With regard to all the above categories, if you wish to acquire some property, you may do so after fulfilling the necessary legal requirements.
You must never have two immigration documents simultaneously.
All foreigners entering the country, except in a case of a tourist, must request their name be entered in the National Foreigner’s Registry.
Once you have obtained a permanent address in Mexico, you have 30 days in which to request that your address, or change of, be noted in your immigration document.
During your stay in Mexico, if your civil status changes, you must notify the immigration authorities within a maximum of 30 days from the event.
In the case of marriage to a Mexican national, or adoptions, you will be required to obtain the Immigration department’s authorization.
To extend your activities, or change employer, you require the Immigration Department’s authorization and payment of the corresponding fee.
In the case of loss or theft of your immigration document, you must file a report before the State Attorney General, (Procuraduría General de Justicia del Estado). To obtain a replacement of your immigration document, you must present a photocopy of the above report.
If you wish to leave the country and your immigration document is being processed, notify the department and you may obtain an exit and re-entry permit valid for a maximum of 45 days.
If you wish to leave the country, you must hand in your immigration document to the immigration department before you leave.
For further information, please contact our offices located at Alvaro Obregón No. 2140, e/ I. Allende and B. Juárez in downtown La Paz, B.C.S. Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Downtown Tel: (612) 125-3493 and (612) 122-0429
La Paz International Airport: Tel: 112. 46349.
Respect for the Mexican laws is important. You must enter the country with the proper documents as required by law.
Secretaria de Gobernación
Instituto Nacional de Migración
Delegación Regional en B.C.S.
Cabo San Lucas, B.C.S.
Blvd. Lázaro Cárdenas s/n
Col. Centro C.P. 23410
Tel: (624) 143-0135 y 143-4001
Loreto, B.C.S.
Calle Paseo Tamaral s/n Casa de la Cultura
C.P. 23880
Tel: (613) 135-1266
San Carlos, B.C.S.
Carretera a San Carlos km. 56
C.P. 23740
Tel: (613) 136-0262
Santa Rosalia, B.C.S.
Carretera Transpeninsular km. o Esq. Fco. Villa
Edificio Fed. de Hacienda, planta alta
C.P. 23920
Tel: (615) 152-0313
Guerrero Negro, B.C.S.
Blvd. Emiliano Zapata s/n e/ Gustavo Díaz Ordaz y Q. Roo
C.P. 23940
Tel: (615) 157-0303
Consejo Consultivo
La Paz, B.C.S.